Outreach for Early Diagnosis
The World Health Organization recommends systematic screening for active TB in high risk subpopulations that have poor access to health care.
E-DETECT TB’s ultimate objective is to improve early diagnosis in these populations.
Romania and Bulgaria are countries in transition from high to intermediate incidence and are experiencing high TB rates among certain subpopulations.
The E-DETECT TB project partners built a mobile diagnostic unit, equipped with digital radiography, computer aided detection and molecular point of care tests.
The truck was operated by specially-trained team who exchanged their knowledge and experiences with counterparts from similar initiatives in the Netherlands and the UK.
- To ensure early diagnosis in vulnerable populations (prisoners, drug users, homeless persons and Roma population) in Romania and to pilot the screening for 1 week in Bulgaria.
- To strengthen care integration using an outreach strategy by providing a one-stop “shop” (clinic).
We held a webinar in October 2019, looking at on our outreach for early diagnosis work. Participants heard short talks from the E-DETECT team and had the opportunity to ask questions of the speakers.
The programme was as follows:
- Introduction by webinar chair: Gerard de Vries
- TB screening among homeless persons and illicit drug-users: the Rotterdam experience: Rob van Hest
- The Find and Treat outreach service in London; an evaluation: Ibrahim Abubakar
- Changing the approach from passive case finding for TB to active case finding: Beatrice Mahler-Boca & Ana-Maria Duca
- Clinical aspects of E-DETECT TB confirmed cases: Dan Gainaru
- Question time
Download a factsheet about Outreach for Early Diagnosis in English
Download a factsheet about Outreach for Early Diagnosis in Romanian (“Depistare activă”)
- May 2018 | publication: “Towards tackling tuberculosis in vulnerable groups in the European Union: the E-DETECT TB consortium” [view via European Respiratory Journal website]
- July 2018 | poster exhibited by Gerard de Vries, KNCV at AIDS 2018 Conference, Amsterdam [Download PDF]
- October 2018 | publication: “Tuberculosis in the European Union and European Economic Area: a survey of national tuberculosis programmes” [view via European Respiratory Journal website]
- December 2018 | E-DETECT TB acknowledged by the publication: “The UCL–Lancet Commission on Migration and Health: the health of a world on the move” [view via UCL-Lancet Commission website]
- April 2019 | “E-DETECT TB maakt succesvolle start met vroege tbc-screening in Roemenië” – special edition of Tegen de Tuberculose [Download PDF or view online]
- E-DETECT presented at Romanian Parliament
- E-DETECT featured in special edition of Tegen de Tuberculose
- Our screening van draws the crowds on World TB Day
- Civil society engagement in Bulgaria
- Mobile TB Screening Unit Officially Launches in Bucharest
- Romanian team visits London’s Find&Treat
- CAD4TB training in Romania