In Italy, we are actively screening new and settled migrants for active and latent TB respectively, ensuring that those testing positive are appropriately managed and generating the evidence to support future European policy.
- To create a network with local partners to agree a detailed protocol for migrant screening.
- To establish active TB screening in temporary migrants in Italy.
- To start screening for active and latent TB in more settled migrants in Italy.
- To collect data and produce evidences aiming at impact European policy.
Data collection system and screening app
One of the innovations created by the E-DETECT TB partners was a new data collection system called EDETECT TB.
Part of the system was a new screening app. You can see a brief overview on the video below. A longer tutorial video is available in Italian.
We held an ERS webinar in November 2017 on our work on TB detection, prevention and treatment in immigrants. Participants heard short talks from the E-DETECT team and had the opportunity to ask questions of the speakers.
The programme was as follows:
- Evidence from systematic reviews of the literature: Dominik Zenner
- Screening at first arrival in Italy: results from E-DETECT intervention: Daniela Cirillo
- Screening at relocation sites in Italy: results from E-DETECT intervention: Enrico Girardi
- Wrap-up and conclusions: Ibrahim Abubakar
Watch a recording of the webinar
Download a factsheet about Migrant TB Detection, Prevention and Treatment in English
Download a factsheet about Migrant TB Detection, Prevention and Treatment in Italian (“Diagnosi, prevenzione e trattamento della TB nei migranti”)
- May 2018 | publication: “Towards tackling tuberculosis in vulnerable groups in the European Union: the E-DETECT TB consortium” [view via European Respiratory Journal website]
- July 2018 | poster exhibited by Gerard de Vries, KNCV at AIDS 2018 Conference, Amsterdam [Download PDF]
- October 2018 | publication: “Screening for active and latent tuberculosis among asylum seekers in Italy: A retrospective cohort analysis” [view via Travel Medicine and Infectious Disease website]
- December 2018 | E-DETECT TB acknowledged by the publication: “The UCL–Lancet Commission on Migration and Health: the health of a world on the move” [view via UCL-Lancet Commission website]
- March 2019 | publication: “Building a European database to gather multi-country evidence on active and latent TB screening for migrants” [view via International Journal of Infectious Diseases website]
- July 2019 | article: “App-based symptoms screening with Xpert MTB/RIF Ultra assay used for active tuberculosis detection in migrants at point of arrivals in Italy: The E-DETECT TB intervention analysis” [view via PLOS One online]
- European migrant TB screening database featured in IJID
- New paper: Screening for TB among Migrants in Brescia
- E-DETECT TB attends MERH in Edinburgh
- New WHO Europe report out on TB screening and care for migrants
- E-DETECT TB featured in the ERJ
- How to use our simple TB screening app
- Migrant study moves into next phase
- E-DETECT involved in international training activities
- E-DETECT at the Moscow conference
- E-DETECT TB webinar recording available online
- E-DETECT app debuts in Sicily
- Migrant screening in Italy